Friday, March 25, 2011

Eyam, Stoney Middleton, Froggatt, Grindleford, Longshaw and Fox House.

A long title for today's walk; although the walk wasn't particularly long at six and a half miles.

The day got off to a bad start with the train being delayed for fifteen minutes due to a problem at Rotherham; then when I arrived at Sheffield Station I went for a pee and noticed a sign which said that because of vandalism, barriers were going to be installed at the toilets...and there would be a charge of twenty pence. Having to pay is bad enough, but it's the delay caused by the barriers that will be the main problem - it's a railway station, many people are likely to be in a hurry and they don't need any extra, unnecessary delays.

I got off the bus today at Eyam and quickly walked across the meadows to Stoney Middleton, and then continued through woodland and across more meadows to reach the River Derwent a few hundred yards south of Froggatt. Along this section of the walk I came across a couple of fields where a lot of yellow flowers were growing - I wonder if anyone can identify them?



There were some lovely views to the north as I walked along the riverbank.



The walk to Grindleford was straightforward; I've done it several times before. At Grindleford though I took an unfamiliar route climbing up through boggy woodland to eventually reach The Grouse Inn.

About a mile further on I arrived at the Longshaw Visitor Centre and popped in for a cream tea, since I'd got plenty of time to spare. It was lovely, and I was ready for it; but I thought it was rather expensive.

It was then only a short walk to the bus stop at Fox House. I had thirty minutes to wait for the next bus and so spent a few minutes sunbathing on a rock.

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely walk! I do love the Longshaw area, but I agree, the cafe there is a little expensive, I didn't stop for a cream tea!

    I *think* the flowers you saw could be lesser celandines or marsh marigolds, but you'd have to look them up on google or in a book to be sure! Let me know if you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've identified it Louise...it is lesser celandine, a member of the buttercup family. Quite an attractive plant.

    ReplyDelete