Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Visit To Bakewell Christmas Market And Fair.

I spent a few hours at Bakewell today with my friend Justin. On Wednesday I had a colonoscopy at the hospital; fortunately my bowel is healthy and I don't even need any treatment on my piles. I had, however, already made the plans for today's trip...just in case I was feeling a bit sore, weak, or uncomfortable and wouldn't be able to go walking.

The day didn't get off to a good start. The railway line to Sheffield was closed because of overnight flooding and so we had to take the bus to Sheffield, arriving an hour later than expected at Bakewell.

By now the weather was glorious, but the first thing we did was find somewhere to eat. The carvery at The Wheatsheaf pub seemed reasonable and so we piled our plates up high. I had turkey served with stuffing, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots; finished off with home-made Bakewell pudding and ice cream.

The sun was still shining when we left the pub and I took a little time to take some photographs down by the river.



The first place we both wanted to visit was the nearby indoor farmers' market where there seemed to be an amazing choice of meat on sale.


We played safe and settled on rabbit pie and game pie though.

The rest of the afternoon was spent looking round the shops; mainly the charity shops...and we popped into the record and CD fair, an antiques fair and the antiques centre next to the Rutland Arms Hotel.


2 comments:

  1. Dear Lord Firth,
    You claim that you "had" Yorkshire Pudding in The Wheatsheaf but I have absolutely no recollection of this. Besides, I was in London at the time you say the incident happened. Another key point, I only allow ladies to "have" me - no gentlemen thank you very much!
    Sincerely
    Y.Pudding

    ReplyDelete