Tuesday, December 24, 2013

An Early Morning Stroll Round My Neighbourhood

Nearly two hundred years ago George Boole went for a walk in Doncaster and had an idea which would lead to the development of almost every piece of modern technology.







I live quite near to Doncaster town centre but there are a couple of parks nearby. I've got all of my Christmas shopping done, it's a lovely start to the day, and so I thought I would have a walk to Town Fields, by far the largest of the local open spaces.

I reached a point where several paths converged and suddenly thought of George Boole. The article which the link takes you to isn't very detailed; but anyone with an interest in computers will easily understand how walking and Boolean algebra or logic and Boolean search operators are directly linked to walking - it's all about choices and decision-making.




No comments:

Post a Comment