Saturday, January 24, 2015

Fox House, Longshaw Estate, Nether Padley, Grindleford, and Hathersage Booths.

For a change today, when I got off the bus at Fox House I walked a few yards down the road and entered the Longshaw Estate by the vehicular entrance, passing through the car park and down to the Information Centre and tearooms - where I ordered a pot of tea and a bowl of soup. I presented my bus ticket, so I didn't have to pay for the tea; it's a deal that TM Motors has negotiated with the National Trust - you can also get £2 off the price of admission at Chatsworth House if you travel on service number 218.

I had to hang around for half an hour for the tearooms to open; they open later at weekends. I therefore had a bit of time to walk around  and take some photographs. The first one of this pair was taken before the tearooms had opened, the other after I had started the walk.





After finishing my soup I took the path that leads to a location known as 'Wooden Pole' and then a track which goes across open moorland to reach White Lodge.



I then made my way down to Nether Padley, covering a lot of ground I hadn't walked before, including a spectacular viewpoint located at the summit of Tumbling Hill. I sat and ate my sandwiches here; I consider this to be the most scenic place I've managed to reach on my walks in the Peak District so far. It's not easy to find though; the actual summit and the path that leads to it aren't marked on the Ordnance Survey map.





The views span almost 360 degrees, encompassing White Edge, the Burbage Valley, the Hope Valley, and the Derwent Valley. For those of you who know the area well; imagine being able to enjoy the view from Fox House or Longshaw, Surprise View, and the view you get when standing on Froggat Edge...all from the same place. Wonderful! Magnificent!

I only took photographs facing up the Hope Valley; the sun was too low on the horizon for the other views.

When I reached Nether Padley I had to check the map just to make sure which direction I needed to go to find the two snickets which would take me down to the road.

I walked down the road for a few hundred yards and then walked in the fields next to the river [following the path] before climbing up through woodland to reach the main Sheffield road just above The Millstone pub at Hathersage Booths...where I caught the bus opposite the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment