Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Maps

I sometimes mention my Ordnance Survey maps in my blog reports; I have three that I use for my walking, the 1:25,000 scale Explorer series sheets covering both the Dark Peak and the White Peak, and the 1:50,000 scale Landranger series covering Sheffield and Doncaster.

The mapping and quality of printing on the Explorer sheets is excellent, clearly showing detailed features such as field boundaries, pylons and overhead power lines, types of terrain, and even individual rock formations...all of which really help me to navigate. The only criticism that I have to make concerns the coverage areas; because the point where the two sheets join is the Hope Valley, right in the middle of the area of the Peak District easily reachable from Sheffield, I regularly end up having to place both sheets in my map case.

My other map, covering the local area where I live in Doncaster obviously isn't as detailed...but this isn't a popular tourist and outdoor pursuits area. Of course I can get 1:25,000 mapping with text and features as large as I like online, and then just print off a personalised sheet.

Another online service that I frequently use is Google Maps or Google Earth, for the public transport information, the location of bus stops and the services which stop there.


No comments:

Post a Comment