Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Lodge Moor to Hathersage

Service 51 runs every 10/15 minutes right to the edge of the Peak District at Lodge Moor, only just over a mile from the National Park boundary. So whatever time I get up, get ready and leave the house, arrive at Doncaster Railway Station or Sheffield Interchange I never have long to wait for a bus to the start of my walk.

This morning was possibly the earliest start to a walk, I got off the bus at Lodge Moor terminus at 8:20. I walked along the road for a bit and then took the footpath across the playing fields and then joined the main path that goes along the route of the Redmires Conduit until I reached the road.







I crossed the road and took the concessionary path past the waterworks and continued towards the first of the Redmires Reservoirs.



When I reached the second reservoir I turned north and used the well-maintained gravel track that heads out onto the moors; there are plenty of seats along here.




The gravel path only goes half way; the return part of the loop back to the reservoirs is mainly grassy, but a bit boggy in places.

It was a steady climb up the track to Stanedge Pole, and then a level crossing of the moors to reach Stanage Edge.











I walked along the Edge to Cowper Stone and descended down to the road not too far from Upper Burbage Bridge where I could see a police roadblock in operation - most likely only a traffic survey though.

I walked along the road, across the moor again and down into Hathersage, catching the bus back to Sheffield from the higher part of the village.






No comments:

Post a Comment