Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Secret Gardens Of Winster 2017

My first visit to an open gardens event this summer, I've not been able to arrange one until now - but I'm hoping to fit in at least one more. I went to Winster Secret Gardens last year and really enjoyed the day; this year was even better though because the weather was absolutely perfect...unlike last year's cloud and an occasional short shower.

I went with Siobhan, my support worker, in the car. We arrived at one o'clock, well before the gardens opened at 1:30. Inside the church there was an exhibition of local art on display, so we headed there. We set off in the wrong direction though, but I ended up with a pretty cottage to photograph.


None of my photographs of the church was any good and so I haven't included them. We spent a few minutes inside waiting for the clock to chime for 1:30 and then headed up the hill to the first garden. Unusually, no photography was allowed in this garden - that wasn't the case anywhere else though.

These are the best of the photographs I took of the gardens and the village.












































There wasn't just the gardens to look at and enjoy; there was also a jazz combo in one garden, several gardens where food was available, some serving alcohol as well, the art exhibition in the church, tearooms set up in the village hall, and a scarecrow trail for the children...and finally a sheep shearing demonstration which was pointed out to us all on the shuttle bus which we took back to the car park established in a field just outside the village. We didn't have enough time to take in all of the gardens, I think there were three we missed - we ran out of time and Siobhan's ankle was a bit sore because of all of the steps and the hills...as a walker I wasn't surprised at all when she told me that walking downhill and descending the steps was the worst.

Yet again we got lost driving through Sheffield city centre on our way home to Doncaster - I think this has happened every time.



No comments:

Post a Comment