Sunday, September 24, 2017

Swinton, Upper Haugh, Hoober, Wentworth, Nether Haugh, Parkgate, and Dalton

I travelled on the train to Swinton this morning and then walked over to Wentworth, one of my favourite local villages.

There wasn't anything interesting  at Swinton until I got to the church, half way up the hill.





The next interesting thing to look at was the Waterloo Kiln right next to some lovely countryside. There's easy public access but the kiln's surrounded by railings and private land and I couldn't get any decent approach shots; my close-up efforts were awful.

I had to briefly re-enter the built-up area before heading off towards Wath Wood, then through the golf course and across the fields right to the edge of Upper Haugh. I had planned to go to Abdy on my way to Hoober but got confused in the woods - it would have meant less walking along the roads going that way.

At Hoober I walked through the village before taking the footpath up to Hoober Stand.





The road down to the hamlet of Lea Brook is quite steep; I left the road just before reaching the houses and walked over the fields to the Wentworth road. Before arriving at Wentworth I did a short detour to have a look at the Needle's Eye.



Wentworth is lovely when the sun is shining.

















I ate my sandwiches on a bench in a quieter part of the village, briefly visited the garden centre to use the toilets and then walked through the Gun Park to Lower Haugh. The walk to Dalton from there to catch the bus back to Doncaster isn't particularly attractive, in fact it's rather ugly in places as I passed by the steelworks. I did get a few bargains from the Asda supermarket at Dalton though.



No comments:

Post a Comment