Monday, September 18, 2017

Thurnscoe, Billingley, Highgate, Bolton-on-Dearne, and Conisbrough

My mum died last week and naturally I've been spending a lot of time with the family. This morning was no exception; I stayed with my dad in Thurnscoe for about an hour before setting off on a walk back towards Doncaster...seeing how far I'd get before the bad weather set in.

The church of St.Helen's at Thurnscoe mainly dates from the eighteenth century, but could easily pass as mediaeval though I suppose.




It's only about a mile across the fields to Billingley; en route I found three brightly coloured balloons tied together. It looks like they were released to commemorate the centenary of the opening of the Skoghalls Bridge in Sweden.









I passed the Christmas tree farm as I left Billingley and headed down the lane to the main trunk road at the bottom of the hill.  I turned left and then took the first footpath on my right, heading to the south across the field. After about a hundred yards my way was blocked by impenetrable scrub, bushes, a fence, and a ditch. I had to return to the road and remain walking on tarmac all the way to Bolton-on-Dearne.

The church here is genuinely old though.



I walked past the railway station and along the track the leads to Adwick Washlands Nature Reserve and at the earliest opportunity got up on to the top of the levee and followed the course of the River Dearne downstream.

I passed several dog walkers, one elderly couple in particular though were memorable - the woman was having fun throwing a dildo for their dog to catch and retrieve.

Not long after passing Pastures Road it started to rain, nothing too heavy, but it was very dark and threatened worse and so I finished the walk a mile and a half later at Conisbrough.


No comments:

Post a Comment