Sunday, October 22, 2017

Carlton in Lindrick, Wallingwells, Letwell, Firbeck, and Oldcotes

I managed to fit in a local walk in Nottinghamshire and some parts of Rotherham borough today.

I got off the bus at the shops at Carlton in Lindrick and walked along the road towards the church and the old part of the village.





After taking some photos I took a footpath across a meadow and then next to a couple of fields of maize, which was growing taller than me.



When I was much younger I never saw maize growing anywhere; neither did I see rapeseed or flax which are common nowadays.

I entered Wallingwells Wood and soon discovered some existential graffiti.





I passed close to a couple of houses at Wallingwells, but for the most part bypassed the hamlet - only stopping to photograph one of the nearby fishing ponds.



Turning to the north I walked down a lane leading towards the main road; over to my right there were some pleasant views of the well landscaped spoilheap left by the former colliery at Langold.



As I got closer to the spoilheap there are a lot of paths that aren't marked on the map and I got lost, ending up too far to the east at Langold Lake Country Park.



I needed to cut across two stubble fields and through a wood to reach a path going towards Letwell - not the original path I'd planned to use though.

As I approached Letwell I turned left and followed a path which went across the fields to the south of the village. I did this so that I could get a decent view of the dovecote for which the village is known. It was quite exposed here...and very windy.



The weather  brightened up a bit for a couple of minutes as I was taking some pictures of the church.



I walked through the village and then took the footpath leading to Firbeck.



The sun came out to shine as I was walking across the fields on my way to Firbeck.












I left the village and walked up the hill and entered the grounds of Firbeck Hall. I got a few good shots of some of the estate buildings which can be seen from the public footpath.







About a mile to the west of Firbeck there's a hamlet, or small village, that isn't named on the map: I deliberately went out of my way to visit it hoping that I might see a local and be able to ask them what this place is called...but I saw no-one.

I continued along the road for just short of a mile until I reached Oldcotes with ample time to go and photograph both of the churches in the village; first the Protestant one and then the Catholic one...both of them quite pretty.












No comments:

Post a Comment