Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sprotbrough and Cusworth Hall Museum

A walk today without using public transport. I lost my travel pass on Friday at Sheffield and although I've ordered a replacement it will be at least a week until I get a new one.

So...I set off from my home not too far from the town centre and walked into town, then along the river to Sprotbrough, and looped back via Cusworth Hall Museum, taking some footpaths I'd not used before - mainly up on the limestone meadows.



























I was hoping to try out the new tearooms at Sprotbrough...but they don't open on Sundays. Instead I went in the Otto Bar and Kitchen, which was quite busy by this time. I was told I would have to wait thirty minutes for my pot of tea and toasted teacake and so also ordered a glass of Diet Coke and found somewhere to sit outside. I only had to wait for a few minutes though for my food, but the pot of tea didn't arrive until ten minutes later by which time I'd already eaten the teacake - and I didn't get the extra hot water that I'd requested. I don't like strong tea and so I immediately scoop out the teabags, pour out a cupful ready to drink and then keep topping up the contents of the teapot with the hot water. Unfortunately today I couldn't fathom out how to take off the teapot lid and so my second cup was too strong for my taste.

I noticed people leaving the church and so I went inside and was fortunate to be given a brief guided tour by the churchwarden. She told me her name, but I've forgotten it.








It's not very far across the fields to Cusworth Hall, and then it's about a mile and a half back into town.










I didn't know about it, but there's currently a temporary exhibition in one of the rooms at the museum all about the history of Hooton Pagnell, my favourite local village. I had many of the rooms all to myself and had fun walking across the very creaky floorboards without having to worry about keeping quiet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment