Saturday, May 12, 2018

Silkstone, Cawthorne, and Cannon Hall

I didn't have time to do any preparation for today's walk; I just packed my maps and threw a pork pie in my rucksack and I was ready to go...my drinks are always left in my bag anyhow. I caught the bus to Barnsley and would then see where I could get from there.

When I arrived at Barnsley Interchange the next suitable bus that was due was going to Silkstone and so that's where I got off - it's only a couple of miles from the pretty village of Cawthorne and Cannon Hall is just beyond.

The bus dropped me off right next to the church at Silkstone.





I then found a footpath leading towards Cawthorne; it was the wrong footpath though and so I ended up walking twice as far as I needed to get there...I didn't mind though since it was quite nice countryside.

The bluebells, wild garlic, and wood anemones were just about at their best as I was walking through the first wood today, down in the bottom of a valley, whereas only the last few stragglers of the lesser celandines were still flowering.

I entered Cawthorne from the south west and walked along the main road towards the church.























There was a bridleway which I took to get to Cannon Hall, passing by the cricket club; I soon reached the bottom lakes and then the parkland before catching my first glimpse of the hall at the top of the hill. Many photo opportunities were ruined because of extensive landscaping works currently being undertaken though...there is visually intrusive orange cordon tape everywhere.







I briefly went inside the hall - it's free admission and there are toilets. I didn't take any photographs - I didn't see anything particularly interesting.

On my way back down the hill I photographed this rather magnificent deer shelter.



I then headed westwards, and then to the southeast, and finally due east as I looped back to Silkstone. This area of pretty villages and pleasant, green, rolling countryside to the west of the town has been  given the name of 'East Peak', by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council for marketing purposes, taking advantage of the fact that it lies immediately to the east of the Peak District.





No comments:

Post a Comment